Gov. Brian Kemp's approval rating stands at 39% weeks after he reopened Georgia
- Georgia Gov.
Brian Kempis getting poor marks from constituents over his handling of the coronavirus, according to a new Washington Post-Ipsos poll on several governors.
- Just 39% of Georgian adults say they approve of Kemp's performance.
- Kemp, who was the first governor to spearhead a large scale reopening effort despite his state not meeting the CDC's recommended criteria for doing so, is lagging far behind other governors in both parties.
- Sixty-five percent of Georgians polled said their state has been "lifting restrictions too quickly."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp has low support from constituent over his handling of the coronavirus after pushing hard to reopen the state early, according to a new Washington Post-Ipsos poll released Tuesday.
Only 39% of Georgian adults said they approve of his handling of COVID-19.
Kemp, a 57-year-old Republican, made headlines in mid-April when he became the first governor to announce a large scale reopening initiative, with sectors from hair salons to bowling alleys opening their doors despite the Peach State not meeting the CDC's recommendations for a requisite decline in cases and other factors.
Despite 56% of Americans overall saying their state has gone about business restrictions "about right," 65% of Georgians responded by saying their state has been "lifting restrictions too quickly."
The divergent polling results come as President Donald Trump continues to push states to reopen businesses more quickly, blaming Democratic governors for dragging their feet for political reasons.
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Banks in India may have to fight harder for deposits
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list