Gov. Brian Kemp's approval rating stands at 39% weeks after he reopened Georgia
- Georgia Gov.
Brian Kempis getting poor marks from constituents over his handling of the coronavirus, according to a new Washington Post-Ipsos poll on several governors.
- Just 39% of Georgian adults say they approve of Kemp's performance.
- Kemp, who was the first governor to spearhead a large scale reopening effort despite his state not meeting the CDC's recommended criteria for doing so, is lagging far behind other governors in both parties.
- Sixty-five percent of Georgians polled said their state has been "lifting restrictions too quickly."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp has low support from constituent over his handling of the coronavirus after pushing hard to reopen the state early, according to a new Washington Post-Ipsos poll released Tuesday.
Only 39% of Georgian adults said they approve of his handling of COVID-19.Kemp, a 57-year-old Republican, made headlines in mid-April when he became the first governor to announce a large scale reopening initiative, with sectors from hair salons to bowling alleys opening their doors despite the Peach State not meeting the CDC's recommendations for a requisite decline in cases and other factors.Advertisement
Despite 56% of Americans overall saying their state has gone about business restrictions "about right," 65% of Georgians responded by saying their state has been "lifting restrictions too quickly."The divergent polling results come as President Donald Trump continues to push states to reopen businesses more quickly, blaming Democratic governors for dragging their feet for political reasons.
Read the original article on Business Insider
- Most models focus on how virus behaves, not other factors: Health ministry on MIT's COVID-19 study
- CM Yediyurappa seeks people's support in tackling COVID-19
- 5 more COVID-19 deaths in Punjab; virus count now 7,140 with 234 new cases
- Despite challenges, Delhi gearing up to revive its economy hit by COVID-19: Sisodia
- African Union Commission launches consortium for COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial