Iran has released US man Xiyue Wang, who spent three years in jail, as part of a prisoner swap deal
Free Xiyue Wang
- US PhD student Xiyue Wang has been freed as part of a prisoner swap deal with Iran that also saw Iranian academic Massoud Soleiami released.
- Wang, a Princeton graduate history student, was sentenced in April 2017 to 10 years in prison on espionage charges his family maintains are fabricated.
- "Our son Shaofan and I have waited three long years for this day and it's hard to express in words how excited we are to be reunited with Xiyue. We are thankful to everyone who helped make this happen," said Wang's wife, Hua Qu, in a message on Twitter.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
US man Xiyue Wang is headed back home after three years in jail after a prisoner swap deal was brokered with Iran, US President Donald Trump said in a statement.Wang, 38, is a Princeton graduate student who travelled to Iran in 2016 to research his thesis, where he was arrested and accused of espionage.
"Glad that Professor Massoud Soleimani and Mr. Xiyue Wang will be joining their families shortly," Zarif tweeted Saturday. "Many thanks to all engaged, particularly the Swiss government."Zarif tweeted a picture of himself accompanying Soleiami home.
President Trump said that Wang had been "held under the pretense of espionage."
"Freeing Americans held captive is of vital importance to my Administration, and we will continue to work hard to bring home all our citizens wrongfully held captive overseas," the statement said.
In a message posted on Twitter Wang's wife, Hua Qu, expressed her joy at the news."Our son Shaofan and I have waited three long years for this day and it's hard to express in words how excited we are to be reunited with Xiyue. We are thankful to everyone who helped make this happen," she said.
Wang was sentenced to 10 years in prison in April 2017 on two counts of espionage, and was held in Tehran's Evin prison - where many political prisoners and foreign prisoners are detained.His family say the charges were fabricated, and the US state Department has said that Wang was not working on behalf of any US government agencies.
He had been one of four Americans believed to be held prisoner in Iran, with father and son Siamak and Baquer Namazi, US Navy veteran Michael White, and former FBI agent Robert Levison, still believed to be detained.The deal comes after months of increasing tensions between Iran and the US, with the Trump administration having imposed harsh economic sanctions on Iran as part of a bid to pressure Iran to renegotiate a deal limiting its nuclear program.
Statement of Hua Qu, wife of Xiyue Wang:- Free Xiyue Wang (@FreeXiyueWang) December 7, 2019
Our family is complete once again. Our son Shaofan and I have waited three long years for this day and it's hard to express in words how excited we are to be reunited with Xiyue. We are thankful to everyone who helped make this happen.
- Everybody in India must get Covid vaccine free, says Kejriwal
- Samsung now lets you buy up to four products in one single EMI as it seeks to boost sales this festive season
- Equitas Small Finance Bank IPO allotment: Here’s how to check share allotment status
- K'taka healthcare warriors first to get Covid vaccine: Minister
- Cong, BJP in K'taka cross swords over vaccine promise