LAPD responds to viral TikTok showing heavily armed law enforcement in front of unhoused encampment on Venice Beach
- A viral TikTok shows an
LAPDofficer standing outside of a Venice Beachhomeless encampment.
- The LAPD told Insider that they were responding to a radio call warning of an assault with a deadly weapon.
- LAPD said the suspect alleged that a woman attempted to steal his bike, which led him to pull out his pellet gun in defense.
A 25-second video depicting heavily armed Los Angeles Police officers surrounding tents Venice Beach on July 25 has gained significant social media traction - on both TikTok, where it was originally posted, and Twitter.
The video shows at least two officers holding
LAPD Officer Norma Eisenman told Insider that the officers were responding to a radio call warning of an assault with a deadly weapon. The suspect was described as a white male in a blue tent who threatened to shoot people with his gun.
The LAPD said the suspect, whose name remains unknown, alleged that a woman attempted to steal his bike, which led him to pull out his pellet gun in defense. Though the suspect was temporarily detained, carrying a pellet gun is not illegal and he was eventually let go, according to the LAPD. There were no reported injuries.
"Officers arrived, the witness pointed out the tent with the alleged male with a handgun and tactical deployed. The portion of the video being circulated depicts this. The individuals were ordered out of the tent and complied," Officer Eisenman told Insider.
Venice Beach is at the heart of Los Angeles'
This ordinance will disproportionately affect the homeless population in LA, as previously reported by Insider. There are an estimated 41,000 unhoused people in the city of Los Angeles and about 1,600 unhoused people in the Venice neighborhood, according to KTLA.
- A massive study from Israel suggests older adults were far less likely to develop severe COVID-19 after a booster shot, but the finding carries major limitations
- Everything you need to know about iOS 15: Release date, new features, supported devices
- Watch SpaceX launch 4 space tourists into Earth's orbit
- Wealth management firm White Oak Capital gets SEBI’s nod to enter mutual fund business
- IPO-bound Pine Labs raises another $100 million
- Virat Kohli to step down as India’s T20 captain, says he had ‘immense workload’ over the years
- India's bad bank gets government nod — green lights NARCL with ₹30,600 crore guarantee
- Byju’s acquires yet another coding-for-kids startup, this time an American one