More than half of high school students say they faced emotional abuse throughout pandemic, CDC report finds
- More than half of high schoolers said they were verbally insulted or cursed at during the pandemic, a
- The study also showed
mental healthissues among American teenagers.
More than half of American teenagers said they were victims of various forms of
"These data echo a cry for help," Dr. Debra Houry, the CDC's acting principal deputy director, told NBC News. "The COVID-19 pandemic has created traumatic stressors that have the potential to further erode students' mental wellbeing."
The CDC's findings were based on survey responses from 7,705 high school students nationwide and published in various individual reports.
According to the survey, 66% of students reported that they had difficulty completing their schoolwork, 55% said they had been cursed at or verbally insulted by adults in the household, and 11.3% said they were victims of physical abuse.
The report also found that 44% of the students said they experienced hopelessness during the past year — making it difficult for them to carry out daily functions — and almost 20% said they contemplated committing suicide.
"Our data make it clear that young people experienced significant disruption and adversity during the pandemic and are experiencing a mental
It's not immediately clear how exactly the lockdown caused by the pandemic influenced the study's findings.
A previous CDC study released in February shows that American teenagers had faced increasing levels of mental health issues between 2013 and 2019 prior to the onset of the pandemic in 2020.
- Toyam Sports Limited signed up as title sponsor for India tour of Bangladesh
- Deadly Covid variants still transmissible between species, finds study
- Australia researchers find poor sleep may be risk factor for Type 2 diabetes
- Max Financial Services: Company worth ₹24,000 crore running with only 12 employees
- NPCI defers UPI market cap rules till Dec 31, 2024
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World