New York City sent out a push alert to all phones asking licensed healthcare workers to volunteer in overburdened facilities
Atilgan Ozdil/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)
- New York City sent out a push alert seeking medical volunteers to help in hospitals.
- NYC has become the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the US.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
New York City residents got an emergency push alert asking for licensed healthcare workers to volunteer to work in overburdened facilities on Friday.The city has become the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the US with more than 57,000 people infected and over 1,500 deaths. Advertisement
Those who sign up to help will go through a two-step process to verify their license and be matched in places that need help, the New York City site said.
Healthcare workers in the city and all across the US have spoken about limited medical equipment to treat patients and shortages of personal protective equipment needed to limit medical staff's exposure to the virus when working with COVID-19 patients.A New York City nurse died after contracting the virus late last month.
Additional measures have been taken to have more healthcare workers working on the frontlines of this coronavirus outbreak. Several medical schools include those at New York University and Columbia University have agreed to have senior medical students graduate early and work in hospitals.According to NBC Chicago, Illinois also used its emergency alert system to find additional healthcare workers during the outbreak. Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your story.Advertisement
And get the latest coronavirus analysis and research from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is impacting businesses.
Push alert to all NYC phones: pic.twitter.com/1xJ07DgfXd- Jonathan Lemire (@JonLemire) April 3, 2020
- Sony Xperia 5 II is a compact smartphone with high-end features
- Rajya Sabha passes Homeopathy Bills
- Kia Sonet SUV launched in India at ₹6.71 lakh— Here’s all you need to know about its features, design and competition
- COVID-19 patients are facing heart-related issues after recovery
- Australia's controversial Adani coal mine says it has proved environmentalists wrong by creating over 1,500 jobs