North Korea faces food shortages estimated at 860,000 tonnes amid economic constraints and COVID-19: CIA data
The country's food gap is equivalent to around two to three months of food use, with the woes deepening in the midst of economic constraints attributable to its ongoing Covid-19 fight,
"Due to low food consumption levels, poor dietary diversity, and economic downturn, a large portion of the population suffers from low levels of food consumption and very poor dietary diversity," it says.
"The economic constraints, particularly resulting from the global impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, have increased the population's vulnerability to food insecurity.
"If this gap is not adequately covered through commercial imports and/or food aid, households could experience a harsh lean period," it added.
The North imposed stringent border controls against the pandemic in early 2020.
It even implemented nationwide lockdowns after admitting to a Covid-19 outbreak earlier this month.
The CIA put the North's population this year at 25.96 million, with 3.13 million, or 12 per cent of the total, living in the capital city of Pyongyang.
The average life expectancy in the nation is estimated at 71.77 years, it said.
World's highest valued edtech startup Byju's to divert focus on global businesses as Indian market is shrinking
AdvertisementAsia’s richest banker Uday Kotak might be grooming his son Jay Kotak for a top job at his bank
Popular on BI
- People are posting parody photos of their bedside table in response to Elon Musk's tweet which suggested the Twitter CEO kept two guns by his bed
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- Sensex, Nifty50 open higher as US Fed signals smaller rate hikes – TCS, Apollo Hospitals, Zomato among stocks in focus
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World