Pacific's monster storm Harold moves on to Fiji
Tropical Cyclone Harold weakened slightly overnight from a scale-topping category five to a four, but was still lashing Fiji with winds of up to 240 kilometres per hour (150 miles per hour), forecasters said.
The official NaDraki weather service said the cyclone was offshore south of Fiji's main island Viti Levu, but passing closer to land than initially expected.Despite the downgrade, it said Harold remained "extremely dangerous" and advised residents in the island's south to shelter in churches, schools or other substantial buildings.
"Its intensity makes it capable of causing destruction to property and infrastructure, and more significantly, serious injury and loss of life," the service warned.
Residents in Suva said the capital was already experiencing strong winds and heavy rains, with the storm's impact expected to peak later Wednesday.
Harold already claimed 27 lives in the Solomon Islands last week and on Tuesday tore through Vanuatu, destroying much of the country's second-largest town Luganville.
Red Cross Vanuatu secretary general Jacqueline de Gaillande said the scale of destruction was still unknown as communications remain down in the worst-hit northern provinces.
"The NDMO (national disaster management office) carried out some aerial surveys but they did not get back until late last night and we don't know what they showed," she told AFP.
A massive international aid effort was launched after the last category five storm to hit Vanuatu, Cyclone Pam in 2015, flattened the capital Port Vila.
But Vanuatu's international borders are currently closed as the impoverished Pacific nation bids to remain one of the world's few places with no confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- The best wildlife photos of the year show a curious grizzly, dueling reindeer, and fish swimming through a cloud of sperm
- Trading app Public lists shiba inu coin on its trading platform as the Robinhood rival broadens crypto offerings
- Unemployment rate in India sees a dip after a month
- L&T aims to become carbon neutral by 2040 and here's how
- Paytm may drop its pre-IPO sale as advisors recommend lower valuation
- Adidas onboards Deepika Padukone as its global brand ambassador
- The depth of India’s vaccination drive — Gujarat tops the list, UP and Bihar yet to vaccinate a third of their population