Someone put a burning newspaper in an official California ballot box, causing a fire that damaged several ballots
- The inside of an official voter
ballot boxin Californiawas set on fire Sunday night, KABC-TV reported.
- Local authorities said the fire started after someone placed a burning newspaper inside the box outside the Baldwin Park public library.
- The incident is under investigation according to a statement from the
Los AngelesCounty Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.
- The registrar's office said it is attempting to identify and contact registered voters whose ballots may have been damaged in the incident.
A fire inside an official voting ballot box damaged a number of ballots in Southern California on Sunday night.
Firefighters say they found a burning newspaper in the ballot box outside the Baldwin Park public library, KABC-TV reported.The firefighters inserted a hose into the ballot box to extinguish the fire and used a chainsaw to "remove stacks of burned ballots," the local CBS
"Tampering, or attempts to tamper, with our democracy will not be tolerated. Rest assured, LA County residents' voices will be heard when they vote, including in this election," the statement read.The registrar's office said it is attempting to identify and contact voters whose ballots may have been damaged in the fire.
California has installed official ballot boxes throughout the state ahead of the November 3 general election as a safety measure due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The move is meant to provide registered voters with more ways to cast their ballots without having to visit a polling place in person.
- Night curfew in Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodra and Rajkot to get extend by 15 days
- Whether we like it or not, Indians are already partaking in the superfood ‘trend’
- India records 16,488 new COVID-19 cases and 113 deaths in last 24 hours
- Maharashtra to conduct class 12,10 exams from 23 and 29 April
- Here is what to expect from Maruti, M&M, Hero, Bajaj Auto and other automakers in February auto sales