South Korea fires warning shots as North Korean drones enter airspace for the first time in 5 years, South Korea says
- North Korean drones entered South Korean airspace on Monday for the first time since 2017.
- South Korea responded by firing warning shots and scrambling fighter jets.
Five North Korean drones crossed the border into South Korea on Monday for the first time in five years, heightening tension between the two neighbors.
One drone traveled as far as the northern part of Seoul, South Korea's capital, about an hour's drive from the border, a South Korean defense official said in a briefing. The other four flew around Ganghwa Island, a CNN report said.
The South Korean military responded by firing shots at the drones, though the country's defense ministry could not confirm if any drones were shot down.
"This is a clear provocation, and an invasion of our airspace by North Korea," South Korean defense official Lee Seung-oh said during a briefing.
Lee said the South Korean military conducted a reconnaissance mission after the drones entered its airspace, with some assets crossing into North Korean territory and filming its military installations.
The last time a North Korean drone entered South Korean airspace was five years ago, according to the South Korean military.
In 2017, South Korea said it had recovered a crashed North Korean drone that was spying on a U.S.-built missile system being deployed in the country, according to a CNN report from that time.
North Korea has aggressively ramped up its missile tests this year, firing missiles on 36 separate days, the highest annual tally since Kim Jong Un took power in 2012, according to CNN.
On Friday, South Korea said North Korea launched two short-range ballistic missiles, according to CNN.
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock
- ISRO launches India's largest LVM3 rocket from Sriharikota
- RevFin targets financing 20 lakh electric vehicles in next 5 years
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder