Texas GOP Senator argues 'second guessing' police after Uvalde shooting is 'distracting, unfair'
John Cornyntweeted that "second-guessing" police in the wake of the Uvaldeshooting is "unfair."
- Law enforcement officials changed their stories about what happened during the
shootingat least 12 times.
Despite law enforcement changing their story about what occurred during this week's school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, at least a dozen times,
"The second guessing and finger pointing among state and local law enforcement is destructive, distracting, and unfair," Cornyn's tweet about the shooting read.
Cornyn's comments were added to an earlier post from Texas Rep. Tony Gonzalez that indicated the Uvalde police department had interrupted a 2018 plot by two teenage boys to commit a shooting at Uvalde High School. The teenagers were arrested before a shooting occurred.
"Complex scenarios require split second decisions," Cornyn's tweet added. "Easy to criticize with 20-20 hindsight."
An 18-year-old gunman barricaded himself in a
Law enforcement officials have repeatedly changed their stories about the police response during the shooting — first claiming an officer confronted the shooter, then that the gunman was not confronted, and eventually that officers were told to stand down.
In a subsequent tweet, Sen. Cornyn acknowledged that the officers' stories had changed, replying to a reporter's question about how to handle officer misjudgment, saying: "Steve, the story has changed multiple times already, as you know. My only point we need a thorough investigation and to nail down facts before reaching a conclusion. Accountability should follow."
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- 'Get your boy Elon in line:' Former NASA official says she was ridiculed for supporting SpaceX in new memoir
- India is betting on casinos, online games and horse races to fill its coffers
- Pallonji Mistry, the elusive but powerful phantom of Bombay House
- Asus VivoBook Pro 14 OLED review – good performance with a lightweight design
- Ola Electric’s HR Director quits after fourteen months as top executives depart
- Making sense of metaverse – a primer
- Four of every 10 FIIs are from the US; most others are from tax havens