Texas parent who demanded Michelle Obama biography be removed from schools called the book 'leftist indoctrination,' document shows
- A document shows a parent calling a children's book about Michelle Obama "leftist indoctrination."
- The parent demanded the book be removed from a Texas school district.
A Texas parent argued that a children's biography about former first lady Michelle Obama is "leftist indoctrination" and demanded that the book be removed from shelves, NBC News reported.
In a "Request for Reconsideration of Instructional Resources," an unnamed parent argued that "Michelle Obama: Political Icon" by Heather E. Schwartz "unfairly" painted former President Trump as a "bully" and shames white girls.
NBC News reporter Mike Hixenbaugh posted a copy of the parent's complaint to the Katy Independent School District in Texas on Twitter Thursday.
—Mike Hixenbaugh (@Mike_Hixenbaugh) February 3, 2022
According to the form, the parent said they believed that the purposes of the book were to indoctrinate children into "the leftist movement with a negatively slanted view of another president" and "reverse racism — wanting young white girls to believe that the way they talk is a culturally unacceptable way in today's society."
"Complete leftists indoctrination is being placed on any child that reads this book," the parent said on the form.
While the attempt to get the book banned failed, Insider previously reported, this is one of the numerous attempts to ban books about race, gender, and sexuality across the country, as well as attempts to ban critical race theory.
"As an author, a reader, and a parent, I'm against book banning on principle," Schwartz, the author of the Obama biography, told Insider Wednesday. "There couldn't be a safer way for kids to learn about difficult topics, gain new perspectives, and explore the world and their place in it than by reading words on a page."
The Katy Independent School District in Texas, Heather E. Schwartz, and Michelle Obama did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- India to add 80 airports in next 4-5 years; new rules for aerodromes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World