The best cooking oil
- Cooking oils are important components of a heart-healthy diet, but it's important to choose the right ones for the dish you're preparing.
- We've rounded up the best olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, walnut oil, canola oil, and other healthy oils to help you diversify the cooking oils in your cupboard and add flavor to your meals.
Even an occasional cook needs to have some type of cooking oil in the pantry. These plant-based oils are used for everything from frying to baking to making salad dressings. But there are so many different types of cooking oils on the supermarket shelves, you might be tempted to throw your hands up in confusion, and then go home with the familiar bottle of vegetable oil. But that's certainly not the healthiest choice, and there's no need to stick with only one type of oil.
Each type of cooking oil has its own flavor, level of fats, and smoke point, which is the temperature at which the oil will begin to smoke, indicating it is overheated and may lose health benefits. But why limit yourself to just one? A well-stocked pantry has a selection of flavorful cooking oils to choose from.
If you cook with any regularity, your pantry should contain at least a bottle of canola and a bottle of extra-virgin olive oil. Add a small bottle of peanut or sesame oil if you love to stir-fry, and one or two others for variety in salad dressings. Moderate amounts of healthy cooking oil add beneficial fats to your diet, helping to keep your cholesterol balanced and your circulatory system healthy.If you're wondering which cooking oils are worth adding to your pantry, we've done the hard work for you, and assembled this guide to 10 healthy cooking oils worth trying.
Here are the best cooking oils you can buy:
- Best olive oil: Colavita Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Best canola oil: 365 Everyday Value Organic Canola Oil
- Best peanut oil: La Tourangelle Roasted Peanut Oil
- Best sesame oil: Ottogi Dark Sesame Oil
- Best sunflower oil: Sunvella Unrefined High-Oleic Sunflower Oil
- Best coconut oil: Viva Naturals Organic, Cold-Pressed, Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
- Best avocado oil: Bella Vado Organic Extra-Virgin Avocado Oil
- Best walnut oil: La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil
- Best flaxseed oil: Puritan's Pride Organic Flaxseed Oil
Updated on 11/7/2019 by Caitlin Petreycik: Updated prices, links, and formatting. Added related guides.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.