The best stovetop espresso makers and moka pots
- Stovetop espresso makers are easy to use, make excellent strong espresso-like coffee, and last for decades.
- The Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker has been around since 1933, and it is still the best stovetop espresso maker you can buy to make strong, delicious coffee right at home.
True coffee lovers know there's more than one way to make a cuppa, and they've tried them all: French press, drip coffee, cold brew, fancy espresso machines, and so on. One of the most humble and effective machines for making a strong cup of coffee is the stovetop espresso maker also known as the moka pot.
The moka pot, or macchinetta del caffè, which literally translates to "small coffee machine," is a stovetop machine that moves boiling water, pressurized by steam, through ground coffee to make a delicious brew.
Back in 1933, an Italian inventor named Luigi De Ponti patented the design for Alfonso Bialetti, and the company is still making stovetop espresso makers with the same basic design. Bialetti's classic moka pot is so reliable, that it remains the best stovetop espresso maker you can buy.
If you want to learn more about how stovetop espresso machines work, jump ahead to our explainer page. We've tested several stovetop espresso makers over the years and we've done a lot of research to find the best ones you can buy.
Here are the best stovetop espresso makers you can buy:
- Best overall: Bialetti 6-Cup Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker
- Best for gas stoves: GROSCHE Milano Stovetop Espresso Maker
- Best expensive moka pot: Cuisinox Roma 6-Cup Stainless Steel Stovetop Espresso Maker
- Best affordable moka pot: Bialetti Kitty Espresso Coffee Maker
- Best espresso-esque shots: Bialetti Mini Express Espresso Maker
- Best-looking moka pot: 6-Cup Alessi Pulcina Stovetop Espresso Maker
- Best electric moka pot: Delonghi EMK6 Alicia Electric Moka Espresso Coffee Maker
Updated on 10/22/2019 by Owen Burke: Updated prices and formatting. Added related links.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.