The best travel backpack
- Backpacks are perfect for when you don't need a full suitcase, but you want more than a regular daypack or messenger bag.
- Based on our research and real-world testing, the best overall travel backpack is the eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible.
- If you're looking for a bag that will hold a bit more, check out our guide to the best carry-on bags.
The world is shrinking. Thanks to incredibly low prices and fares, travel is becoming more and more accessible to everyone, whether we're talking about quick jaunts out of town or longer trips overseas.
One of the reasons why air travel is becoming more affordable is that low-cost carrier airlines are expanding their reach to serve more people. By charging extra for things like food, drinks, and checked bags, the price of the base ticket can fall drastically lower. Airlines like Spirit and Norwegian have perfected this model, while larger airlines like United and American are starting to offer "basic economy" fares to compete. Those "basic economy" fares tend to start lower but the airlines even charge for carry-on roller bags or duffles.Although roller bags are great when you're trying to carry as much as possible without having to check a bag, they aren't always the best choice. They can be unwieldy on city streets or on trains, while your standard duffel can be a pain to carry for more than a few minutes, even with a shoulder strap.Advertisement
Enter the travel backpack. This bag is a hybrid duffel-backpack that takes the best of both types of bags and combines them into an easy-to-carry storage system that can fit under the airplane seat in front of you, but that's still able to carry enough for a long weekend.
Backpacks help evenly distribute the weight of your gear and include room for those modern-day essentials like laptops, chargers, and tablets.
Here the best travel backpacks:
- Best overall: eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible
- Best on a budget: Open Story Day Trip Backpack
- Best for style: InCase EO Travel Backpack
- Best for carrying a lot: Tortuga Setout Backpack
- Best for work trips: eBags Professional Weekender
- Best for long treks: Deuter Transit 50
You can purchase syndication rights to this story here.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best overall
The best on a budgetAdvertisement
The best for style
The best for carrying lots of stuffAdvertisement
The best for work trips
The best for long treksAdvertisement
Check out our other travel gear guides
- Cyclone Nisarga claims 4 lives in Maha and then fizzles out
- Microsoft rolls out Chromium-based Edge browser to all Windows 10 users
- Amazon Air expands aircraft fleet to help more people in Covid-19 times
- Temperature sensor is the latest addition to Honor’s upcoming smartphone
- Zomato, Swiggy, Dunzo can start testing drone deliveries as India starts doling out permits