The best utility knives
- A good utility knife can do just about anything - from cutting boxes open and slicing through carpet to cutting perfect lines into drywall or making crafts.
- With an ergonomic all-metal handle, an intuitive and easy-to-use folding design, quick blade changing, and a built-in wire stripper, the iconic Milwaukee Fastback 3 is the last utility knife you will ever need.
The knife may be the oldest tool known to man, and despite thousands of years of technological development, a good blade remains one of the most versatile items you can own. But your standard steel pocket knife - while great for EDC - isn't always the best tool for cutting. When it comes to making precise, arrow-straight cuts, there's no better instrument to reach for than a good utility knife.
Often simply referred to as a "box cutter," the utility knife is a versatile and indispensable tool suited for a wide variety of applications. For carpet, leather, drywall, flooring, crafting projects - and, of course, cardboard boxes - a good utility knife is hands-down the best tool when you need to make a smooth, clean cut.Along with super-sharp razor-like blades that are perfect for precision cutting, utility knives offer other advantages over traditional folding and fixed-blade knives: They don't need sharpening (as you simply replace the blade when needed), the blades are typically retractable, the grips are considerably larger, and a smaller length of sharpened edge is exposed for safer cutting. Modern folding utility knives also offer the same portable convenience as a pocket knife.Advertisement
Utility knives are simple tools and the good news here is that you don't need to spend a lot of cash to get a really good one. They're not all made the same, however, with a number of different types and designs available today. We've done the research to sort out the five best utility knives you can buy, from sturdy everyday-use models to ones built for more specialized tasks. Even better: Each of our picks rings in at less than $20.
Here are the best utility knives you can buy:
- Best utility knife overall: Milwaukee Fastback 3
- Best budget utility knife: Stanley Classic
- Best snap-off utility knife: Olfa LA-X
- Best pocket utility knife: Gerber EAB
- Best utility knife for crafts: X-Acto No. 1
Updated 10/29/2019 by Owen Burke: Updated prices, links, and formatting.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best utility knife overall
The best budget utility knifeAdvertisement
The best snap-off utility knife
The best pocket utility knifeAdvertisement
The best utility knife for crafts
- Realists enjoy more long-term happiness than optimists: Study
- May impose total lockdown if COVID-19 situation worsens: Meghalaya DyCM
- COVID 19 death toll reaches 97 in Bihar, tally climbs to 12,525
- India's COVID-19 tally, fatality rate per million population lowest in world: Govt
- 99 test positive, Chhattisgarh COVID-19 count touches 3,415