The death toll from the Texas winter storms keeps rising. At least 151 people died, from causes ranging from hypothermia to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- At least 151 people died during the Texas
winter stormsearlier this year, officials said.
- Millions of Texans lost power, heat, and clean drinking water during the storms, some for days.
- Texas had been warned on multiple occasions in the past to winterize its power plants.
At least 151 people died in a span of three weeks during the extreme
That number, reported by the Texas Department of State and Health Services, has continued to rise as officials collect more information about the aftermath of the storms. Those
Hypothermia, caused by prolonged exposure to the cold, was the primary cause of death.
Devastating winter storms and extreme cold swept through
Millions of Texans lost power and heat during the storms, some for multiple days. Millions were also left without clean drinking water, prompting them to have to boil it, which some couldn't do without power. Photos and videos shared online showed long lines of people waiting to enter stores, some to stock up on water and groceries, others to escape the cold.
Other than hypothermia, officials said other causes of death during the storms included car accidents, carbon monoxide poisoning, exacerbation of chronic illness, falls, and fires.
According to ProPublica, the storms led to the worst carbon monoxide poisoning event in recent US history. The outlet reported many Texans sat in running cars in their garages in order to get some respite from the cold, unintentionally filling their garage and home with carbon monoxide in a state that does not require people to have detectors for the dangerous gas.
More than 1,400 people arrived at medical centers for carbon monoxide poisoning during the
The intense winter storms were rare for the southern state, but not unprecedented. Texas experienced extreme cold events in 1989 and 2011 that disrupted its power grid and was warned on both occasions that it needed to winterize its power plants. Government regulators made specific recommendations, but they were not mandatory.
- Rupee has fared relatively well in 2022 versus other emerging market peers: World Bank
- There is a universal pattern to swearing, across languages
- Are you effectively assessing the impact of marketplace management services?
- Digital upskilling has become the need of the hour for the pharma sector
- Why manufacturers must embrace skills transformation to be future-ready
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World