Top Stories this AM: Bill and Melinda Gates call it quits, skyrocketing condom sales foretell a 'hot vax summer'
Good morning and welcome to your weekday morning roundup of the top stories you need to know.
For more daily and weekly briefings, sign up for our newsletters here.
What's going on today:
- Bill and Melinda Gates are ending their marriage after 27 years. Details about the divorce are still emerging, but the resulting settlement could be one of the largest ever. The couple announced the news in a Notes App-style message on Twitter.
- Biden tapped a Warren ally to head up the Office of Federal Student Aid, which could signal student loan debt relief is on the horizon. Richard Cordray, the former director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, has pushed for loan reform and greater oversight of student loan lenders in the past.
- New CDC data says CVS and Walgreens wasted thousands of COVID-19 vaccine doses - nearly 130,000 jabs. CVS cited issues with transportation restrictions and limitations on redirecting unused doses as reasons for vaccine wastage.
- Australia is threatening jail time and a $45,000 fine for Australian citizens who attempt to re-enter the country from India in an attempt to stem the spread of COVID-19. Human rights groups, Indian Australians, and Australian citizens stuck in India criticized the policy as racist and Prime Minister Scott Morrison later walked back his comments.
- Americans are stocking up for hot vax summer. Condom sales skyrocketed by nearly 25% over the last month as people prepare to release all their pent-up quarantine-related sexual frustrations.
That's all for now. See you tomorrow.
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World