Top Stories this AM: Facebook reportedly planning to change Facebook's name; Netflix's Sarandos apologizes; Magic Johnson weighs in on NBA's unvaxxed
Good morning and welcome to your weekday morning roundup of the top stories you need to know.
For more daily and weekly briefings, sign up for our newsletters here.
What's going on today:
- The artist formerly known as Facebook. Facebook is reportedly changing its name because it wants to be known for its "metaverse" focus. CEO Mark Zuckerberg will talk about the planned rebrand at Facebook's annual Connect conference, The Verge reported.
- On the road again... Alibaba's Jack Ma is on his first overseas trip a year after Beijing's started cracking down on his empire, according to reports. Ma is reportedly in Spain where he will embark on a study tour on agriculture and technology related to environmental issues.
- A mea culpa, of sorts. Netflix CEO says his stance on Dave Chappelle's special hasn't changed but says he "screwed up" in message to staff, ahead of a planned walk-out. "I feel I should've made sure to recognize that a group of our employees was hurting very badly from the decision made," Co-CEO Ted Sarandos said.
- Just "N-Out" for now. San Francisco's only In-N-Out location was temporarily closed for refusing to check patrons for proof of vaccination. The Fisherman's Wharf site has since reopened but is no longer offering indoor dining, an In-N-Out spokesperson told Insider.
- Magic Johnson sounds off on unvaccinated NBA players. Magic Johnson has weighed in on unvaccinated players, saying he would "never do that" to his teammates. The LA Lakers legend said that he would never opt out of a vaccine if it meant that it would hurt his team's chances of winning a championship.
- Community college likely cut from bill. Biden is reportedly cutting free community college from Democrats' social-spending bill. Education Sec. Miguel Cardona expressed concerns free community college would be cut as Democrats negotiate the contents of the reconciliation bill.
- That's all for now. See you tomorrow.
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details
- AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- Sensex rallies over 700 points in early trade; Nifty tops 17,350 — HCL Tech, Infosys, Bharti Airtel, Tech Mahindra, L&T, Reliance Industries and ICICI Bank
- Realme GT 2 Pro with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 to launch in India on Dec 9, could be priced over ₹59,500
- Here’s how you can make voice and video calls from the Gmail app
- Army helicopter carrying senior defence officials crashes in Tamil Nadu
- Parag Agrawal's top priority at Twitter as new CEO — streamline how the company operates