Top Stories this AM: Gen. Milley called Stephen Miller 'Rasputin'; Google employees sound off on sexual misconduct policies; holding hostages for pizza
Good morning and welcome to your weekday morning roundup of the top stories you need to know.
For more daily and weekly briefings, sign up for our newsletters here.
What's going on today:
- Milley's choice words for Stephen Miller. Gen. Mark Milley thought Stephen Miller was 'a Rasputin character, always whispering devilish ideas in the king's ear,' a new book says. According to "I Alone Can Fix It," Milley told Miller to "shut the f--- up" when the latter told Trump anti-racism protesters were "burning the country down."
- Biden sounds off about Jan. 6. Biden tells a CNN town hall crowd, "I don't care if you think I'm Satan reincarnated. The fact is you can't look at that television and say nothing happened on the 6th," The US president made the comment in response to a question as to whether he had confidence Congress could effectively investigate the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
- Google employees sound off on sexual misconduct policies. Hundreds of Google employees call on the company to change sexual misconduct policies that they say burden survivors. The Alphabet Workers Union wants Google to end the 'insidious process' of pushing survivors of harassment to seek mental health leave.
- The Tokyo 2020 Games continue to spiral. The opening ceremony for the Tokyo Games is in shambles after its show director was dismissed for making antisemitic comments. Tokyo Games show director Kentaro Kobayashi mocked the Holocaust in a 1990s comedy skit, referring to a "let's massacre Jewish people game."
- #Relatable. Swedish inmates in a high-security prison took 2 guards hostage and demanded pizza as ransom. The two prisoners, both in prison for murder, originally requested a helicopter before settling for kebab shop pies.
- That's all for now. See you tomorrow.
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- DC vs RR: Who will win today’s IPL match?
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again