Trump says he'll wear a mask to Walter Reed Hospital
- "If I'm with soldiers — I don't want to spread anything," President Trump told Fox News' Sean Hannity on Thursday. "A lot of it is you spreading, not them spreading."
- The president is set to visit Walter Reed Hospital on Friday.
- Public health experts and some Republicans have urged Trump to wear a mask in public in order to lead by example.
- But he mocked his Democratic rival Joe Biden for doing that. "I think it makes him feel good," he said.
President Donald Trump mocked his Democratic rival for wearing a mask at a recent campaign event but said that he himself would wear one himself "in the right setting," such as Walter Reed Hospital, which he is visiting on Friday.
"If I'm with soldiers — I don't want to spread anything," Trump told Fox News' Sean Hannity on Thursday. "A lot of it is you spreading, not them spreading."
"I have no problem with masks," he added. "It's up to you."
The comments came after the president made fun of former Vice President Joe Biden for donning a facial covering during a recent campaign event. "I think it makes him feel good," he said.
—Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) July 10, 2020
Public health experts have stressed the need for facial coverings in public settings, lamenting the fact that a step that could save thousands of lives has become a partisan matter.
"Wearing a mask should be a health issue, not a political issue," Dr. Marissa Levine, a professor at the University of South Florida, told Business Insider this week. States that mandated face coverings early on — not leaving it to individual choice – have enjoyed superior health outcomes, she noted.
Some Fox News personalities have even encouraged Trump to follow Biden's lead and put on a face covering at public events.
"I think that if the president wore one, it would just set a good example," Steve Doocy, a host of Fox & Friends, said recently.
Have a news tip? Email this reporter: email@example.com
- Rupee could slide to 82 as a strengthening dollar is nullifying RBI efforts
- Microsoft Teams for the web gets a bunch of new features including Hindi captions and transcripts
- Byju's says Aakash acquisition on track after reports that it has failed to pay up
- 11,000 and counting — that’s how bad startup job losses are after Ola, WhiteHat Jr & 22 others cut costs
- South Indians crack the most office jokes in India, says survey