UK's newest and largest aircraft carrier broke down on the 2nd day of a mission to the US
- The Royal Navy's largest ship broke down Sunday just one day after setting sail for the US.
- HMS Prince of Wales was left stuck off the UK coast as engineers addressed a mechanical issue.
The UK's newest and biggest aircraft carrier broke down on the second day of what was meant to be a months-long deployment to the US.
HMS Prince of Wales, a £3 billion ($3.5 billion), suffered a mechanical issue Sunday and remains near its base of Portsmouth on the UK's southern coast.
The carrier, which has held the role of command ship for NATO since January 2022, was on the second day of its latest deployment.
The mission is due to take the Prince of Wales, one of two Elizabeth-class carriers meant to revitalize the Royal Navy, to ports in the US, Canada, and the Caribbean.
Divers were on Sunday investigating the ship's technical fault, which is likely to be a damaged propeller, according to the independent news and analysis site Navy Lookout.
"The ship is receiving external support for ongoing investigations," a Royal Navy spokesperson said Sunday.
"Having successfully sailed from Portsmouth, HMS Prince of Wales remains in the South Coast Exercise Area," the spokesperson added. "We expect her to continue her Westlant 22 deployment as planned in the coming days."
This isn't the first time that the 65,000-ton vessel has suffered technical issues since it entered service in 2019.
At the end of 2020, it was stranded in Portsmouth after a flooded engine room led to electrical damage.
The carrier, which has a crew of 1,600, spent fewer than 90 days at sea during its first two years of service after suffering multiple leaks, according to The Guardian.
The Royal Navy did not immediately respond to an Insider request for comment.
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Rupee gains 18 paise to 81.08 against US dollar
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- 234-year-old company EID Parry is only a tad more valuable than year-old unicorn GlobalBees
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World