US President Donald Trump to suspend H1B visas, will not affect those already in the states
- US President
Donald Trumpis expected to announce suspension of H1B, L1 and other temporary work visas.
- The suspension is expected to be announced hours ahead of Trump's rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- The suspension will not affect those already in the US, the report states.
We're going to be announcing something tomorrow or the next day on visas," Xinhua news agency quoted Trump as saying in a Fox News interview on Sunday.
He however declined to give any details but acknowledged that there will be some exclusions.
Advertisement"You need them for big businesses where they have certain people that have been coming in for a long time, but very little exclusion and they're pretty tight," he said.
"And we may even go very tight for a period of time."
Fox News Chief White House correspondent John Roberts tweeted that the restrictions will be imposed on H-1B, H-2B, L-1 and J-1 visas.
H-1B visas are designed for certain skilled workers such as those employed in science, engineering, and information technology fields, while H-2B visas are given to seasonal workers such as hotel and construction staff.
L-1 visas are meant for executives who work for large corporations and J-1 visas are issued to research scholars, professors and other cultural and work-exchange programs.
Trump will reportedly sign an executive order to suspend the visas through the end of the year, as the administration is addressing a major economic fallout, including high unemployment among Americans, amid the coronavirus pandemic.
AdvertisementThat would be Trump's latest step to restrict immigration.
In April, he temporarily halted the issuance of US green cards to some foreigners.
Trump, who has maintained a hardline stance on immigration and used that to appeal to his voters, has been accused of using the pandemic to promote his political agenda.
Popular on BI
- GST Council meet: No new tax on food delivery apps Swiggy, Zomato
- SBI, Kotak Mahindra and others cut home loan rates ahead of festive season
- Virat Kohli's T20I journey as captain is better than Dhoni's
- Gen Z decoded: MTV's latest report reflects Gen Z’s behavior patterns,mindsets, habits and perceptions
- From ecommerce to payments — here are the top funded business models of last one year