Dip-buying day traders are helping fend off a looming stock collapse - and institutions have no choice but to follow suit, Morgan Stanley says
Retail tradershave remained "fervent" dip buyers, despite shaken consumers, Morgan Stanleysaid.
- The answer to whether the Evergrande-induced market dip scared away retail is "a definitive no," the firm said.
Retail traders' relentlessness in buying stock market dips has been a saving grace for major indexes, despite shaken consumer confidence, Morgan Stanley analysts said in a Monday note.
The analysts, led by chief US equity strategist Mike Wilson, said institutional investors are being forced to "cover and chase" as retail traders stay resilient in their strategy.
"Retail remains a fervent buyer of the dip even as supply [and] cost issues appear to be more persistent for both businesses and the consumer," the analysts wrote.
The market questioned whether the Evergrande-induced stock market decline last month jolted retail traders away from their buy-the-dip mentality. "Fast forward to today and the answer to that question is a definitive 'no,'" Morgan Stanley concluded.
That's because "retail investors remain steadfast in their commitment to buying equities, particularly on down days," the analysts said. "The correlation of buying to negative price action is strong."
"This divergence between markets and confidence must be resolved over the next few months one way or another," the analysts said.
Hordes of retail traders have joined the markets since the COVID-19 pandemic, owing it to stimulus checks and more time at home. Most notably in January, the new group banded together to drive epic rallies in struggling stocks such as
The traders, on social media like
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts
- IPL has given me confidence to remain calm under pressure: Rinku Singh
- GST collection surges to 8-month high in November
- Environmental Impact Assessments