Foreign investors are shunning Chinese stocks and bonds as Beijing's economic headache builds
- Foreign investors are shunning Chinese assets as the country's economic recovery falters.
- They offloaded $188 billion worth of stocks and bonds between December 2021 and June 2023, per Bloomberg.
International investors have started shunning Chinese stocks and bonds, as the world's second-largest economy sputters after three years of zero-COVID lockdowns.
Foreign traders pulled $188 billion from the country's equity and debt markets between December 2021 and June 2023, according to data from Bloomberg – representing a decline of 17%.
The flight from China comes with Beijing facing a number of economic issues, including weaker-than-expected growth, a slumping renminbi, and a property market that's spend the past two years lurching from one crisis to another.
International investment has also likely dried up due to the hardline policies of President Xi Jinping, whose third term in office has coincided with bans for US semiconductor companies like Micron and a regulatory crackdown that's wiped an estimated $1.1 trillion off the market value of local Big Tech companies.
"Avoid[ing] China" has become one of investors' main priorities this year as a result of those issues, according to a recent survey by Bank of America.
Just 15% of the top fund managers polled by the bank expect Beijing to roll out a "bazooka" stimulus package that would revive the economy and give stocks and bonds a much-needed boost, a team of strategists led by Michael Hartnett wrote in a research note last week.
Meanwhile, fixed-income investors have also started to ditch Chinese government bonds en masse – pulling around $26 billion from the asset class so far this year, per Bloomberg.
- Explained: TCS on your child's overseas education and mitigating strategies
- From Pixel 8 to Galaxy S23 FE – smartphones launching in October 2023
- World Cup 2023 final squads – Ind, Aus, Eng and all the other teams
- Eating your way to clear vision: 10 foods for healthy eyes
- 10 cafes in Bangalore offering the best of ambiance and cuisine