Jack Dorsey’s crypto platform Cash App falls prey to hack – SEC filing reveals that a former employee stole customer data in December
- Cash App recorded 44 million transactions in December 2021 alone.
- The company also reported over $200 million in gross
Bitcoinprofits in its fourth-quarter results, published in February this year.
- The information breaches do not include usernames, passwords, and other private info of individuals using the Cash App.
AdvertisementJack Dorsey’s Block, the company that was formerly known as Square, has become the latest crypto-related platform that’s fallen victim to a hack. According to a filing with the
Further, the SEC filing says that the employee accessed investment reports of the company’s Cash App on December 10, 2021. “While this employee had regular access to these reports as part of their past job responsibilities, in this instance, these reports were accessed without permission after their employment ended,” the company said in its filing.
This includes full names and brokerage account numbers of Cash App users, and for “some customers” the brokerage portfolio value, their holdings, and the stock trading activity for one trading day. The brokerage account numbers are unique identification numbers used to identify users on the Cash App. Cash App saw 44 million transactions in December 2021, according to the company’s fourth-quarter results.
Insider attack in December
The company has said that no passwords, usernames, social security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, or payment card information have been leaked because of the breach. However, the company is still contacting its 8.2 million customers, according to a report by TheVerge.
“Upon discovery, we took steps to remediate this issue and launched an investigation with the help of a leading forensics firm. We know how these reports were accessed, and we have notified law enforcement. We are also contacting customers whose data was impacted. In addition, we continue to review and strengthen administrative and technical safeguards to protect the information,” the company said in a statement.
Block’s big crypto push
Block has recently been making the move towards cryptocurrency, though the December breach of the company’s data isn’t the same as recent crypto breaches that we have seen in the last six months or so. In this case, the breach seems to be on the non-crypto side of
Block reported revenue growth of 18% on a quarterly basis and 37% year-over-year, according to its fourth-quarter earnings report, which was announced in February. The company earned $2.6 billion of revenue and reported gross profits of $518 million. For 2021, the company’s Cash App also generated $10.01 billion of revenue in Bitcoin and $218 million worth of gross profits from Bitcoin.
Best performing cryptocurrencies in 2022 so far
Google Maps to roll out estimated toll prices across India, US , Japan and Indonesia
Popular on BI
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- Putin signs unification treaties for new regions
- Meta shuts Bulletin newsletter, refocuses on algorithm to take on TikTok
- Biden sends letter to Yoon expressing willingness for talks on IRA
- India reports 2,468 fresh Covid cases, 17 deaths
- TRS meeting underway to convert itself into national party