These were the 5 best performing cryptos over the past week despite the bitcoin bear market
bitcoinand ethereum dominate the headlines, there are nearly 17,000 other cryptocoins.
- With less liquidity and more volatility, these alternative cryptocurrencies can deliver investors massive losses or gains in a short period of time.
- These were the five best performing cryptocurrencies over the past week, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Bitcoin's bear market has sucked the life out of many popular cryptocurrencies, with the total crypto market capitalization falling from $3 trillion last November to about $2 trillion today. But other cryptocurrencies are performing well despite the shift to a mostly risk-off environment.
With more than 17,000 cryptocurrencies in existence and counting, there are more than triple the number of crypto coins than there are US exchange-listed stocks. That massive amount of supply makes it nearly impossible to keep track of all the big movers in the crypto sector outside of well known coins like bitcoin, ether, and dogecoin.
The surge in new crypto coins came amid a massive bull market for the sector in 2021, but a 43% decline in bitcoin from its November high is challenging the space, especially in smaller coins that saw extraordinary gains last year like solana, cardano, and polkadot.
With less liquidity and more volatility, these alternative cryptocurrencies can deliver investors huge losses or gains in a short period of time. Shiba inu is down 63% from its recent high, but is still up big over the past year. Meanwhile, squid game token fell 99% in a single day after delivering swift gains of 75,000%.
Keeping an eye on the weekly winners can help investors identify which coins are beginning to see increased traction in the crypto community.
These were the five best performing cryptocurrencies with a market value of more than $1 billion over the past week, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
5. Axie Infinity
Market Value: $3.8 billion
7-Day Performance: 31.9%
Market Value: $39.1 billion
7-Day Performance: 34.3%
3. Theta Network
Market Value: $4.0 billion
7-Day Performance: 40.0%
Market Value: $4.3 billion
7-Day Performance: 46.4%
1. Shiba Inu
Market Value: $17.4 billion
7-Day Performance: 51.5%
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024