Indians following IPL are asking Alexa five questions on cricket every minute
- During the
Indian Premier League(IPL) Indians are asking Amazon's virtual assistant, Alexa, more than five cricket related questions every minute.
- Certain IPL teams have launched their own set of skills on Alexa so that fans can follow updates.
- Honing in Alexa's cricket skills in a part of localising Alexa for India and its users.
The questions particularly pile up when the Indian Premier League (IPL) season is in full swing. The annual domestic cricket league pulls in over 700 million viewers.
Amazon's Echo device is one of the options for those missing out on the live action.
In an interview with Business Insider India, the country manager of Alexa Skills at Amazon India, Dilip RS, explains that the Alexa Skills team in India has been working with cricket teams like the Mumbai Indians and the Royal Challengers Bangalore to launch their skills on Alexa. This allows users to follow their favorite team's podcasts, hear interviews, and listen in on player facts etc.
People want to know cricket scores but during IPL they want to look at their favorite teams. So, Mumbai India, Royal Challengers Bangalore and a couple of other Indian teams have build skills on Alexa.
However, Alexa's commentary does not stop with IPL as the cricket fever continues through the year. Some of the most popular questions posed include, "Alexa, what's India's score," "Alexa, what's the cricket score," and "Alexa, when is India's next match?"
And to make the most of India's love for cricket, Amazon is building on Alexa's capabilities. Dilip claims that, during an ongoing match, she's capable of answering questions like, “Alexa, what's the projected score,” or “Alexa, how many sixers did Kohli hit?”
If users want to check their own knowledge of cricket trivia, launching Alexa's Cricket Assistant — yes, there's irony in an assistant having its own assistant — can help by letting fans play the ‘Daily Cricket Trivia' challenge.
Integrating cricket skills for Alexa is a part of Amazon India's process to make Alexa more Indian.
So, that was a very important part of us to focus and try to make Alexa more Indian. And, the next part is making sure Alexa is able to answer to all India related queries about festivals, about holidays, about who's the indian pm, indian cricket related information, bollywood related information. These are questions that no other market might ask as much but in India, people will obviously ask what is local to them.
These were the 25 most popular Alexa Skills of 2018, according to Amazon
Amazon has 10,000 employees dedicated to Alexa - here are some of the areas they're working on
- Compound Interest Waiver Scheme applies to everyone but provides limited relief — Here’s everything you need to know
- Best budget truly wireless earbuds in India
- India is the most attractive emerging market for clean energy investment, says Prime Minister Modi
- Tata Motors may report loss for yet another quarter led by weak JLR sales, commercial vehicles’ pain
- Supreme Court jumps in for Amazon and Flipkart after Karnataka High Court remains mum on investigation against their anti-competitive practices for over 200 days