Still no common ground for the warring incumbent telcos and Reliance Jio
While Reliance Jio welcomes Vodafone’s move for increasing the interconnection capacity it believes that the quantum of POIs proposed to be released by Vodafone is substantially less than the requirement. Jio said, “the situation has deteriorated significantly in the last few weeks, with over 80calls failing out of every 100 call attempts. In the last 10 days alone, over 15 crore RJIL calls have failed on the Vodafone network.”
Reliance Jio has been raising the issue of insufficient POIs even before its launch calling it anti-competitive and aimed at hindering the entry of a new operator. Jio said, “It is unfortunate that TRAI’s intervention was required for Vodafone to resume augmentation of POIs as admitted in its press release. Vodafone ought to have augmented POIs by itself in compliance with its license terms.” The company said in its statement.
The telecom regulator TRAI had to intervene on the issue of PoIs as it continued even after Reliance Jio services were commercially launched. TRAI called in on the four main telecom operators Airtel, Vodafone, Idea and Reliance Jio to once and for all sort out the issue of PoIs as it was impacting the consumers where they were facing call failures due to lack of points of interconnect required to complete calls originating from one network to another. Soon after the meet with the TRAI, Bharti
Reliance Jio in its statement also talked about the issue of mobile number portability (MNP) another key issue it faces as a new operator. “RJIL hopes that Vodafone will enhance the PoI's sufficiently to meet their license obligation of QoS with immediate effect and maintain these parameters on an ongoing basis. Vodafone must also immediately make available MNP to all its subscribers opting to port to RJIL in accordance with the license terms and MNP regulations.”
Well it’s still unclear whether the telecom operators have finally found a common ground on the issue of PoIs. But importantly, it looks like Jio subscribers can finally hope to enjoy the free voice services from Reliance Jio (hopefully) without any call failures.
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala