Isaac Newton was a genius, but even he lost millions in the stock market
But there's a big difference between being a smart physicist and smart investor.
And, unfortunately for him, Newton learned that the hard way.
In an updated and annotated text of Benjamin Graham's classic "The Intelligent Investor," WSJ's Jason Zweig included a small anecdote about Newton's adventures with investing the South Sea Company:
"Back in the spring of 1720, Sir Isaac Newton owned shares in the South Sea Company, the hottest stock in England. Sensing that the market was getting out of hand, the great physicist muttered that he 'could calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of the people.' Newton dumped his South Sea shares, pocketing a 100% profit totaling £7,000. But just months later, swept up in the wild enthusiasm of the market, Newton jumped back in at a much higher price - and lost £20,000 (or more than $3 million in [2002-2003's] money. For the rest of his life, he forbade anyone to speak the words 'South Sea' in his presence."
Here's a look at how South Seas moved back then.
Newton obviously wasn't a dumb person. He invented calculus and conceptualized his three laws of motion.
But this little episode shows that he wasn't a smart investor because he let his emotions get the best of him, and got swayed by the irrationality of the crowd.
Or as Graham described it: "For indeed, the investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself."
- Yasin Malik sentenced to life in terror funding case
- Apple could be looking to increase production in India but its geopolitical tension with China might hinder the process, says analyst
- To help fight water scarcity, a machine that produces drinking water from air has been launched in India
- Voltas records an unprecedented triple-digit growth in April '22
- Best moisturizers to keep skin soft and nourished
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Ambassador Electric Cars
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction