From cigarettes to fruits! ITC to enter premium fruit and vegetable market
This decision has also transformed ITC, which started off as
ITC's desire to expand beyond snack foods is backed by an elaborate distribution network and a wider product portfolio in order to build a retailing presence rivalling that of Mother Dairy.
ITC group head (Agri & IT business) S Sivakumar told ET that they were looking forward to building ITC’s Master Chef franchisee with processed, frozen foods, and come up with a separate brand name for fresh products like fruits and vegetables.
"By the next quarter, we plan to do fruits and vegetables. Each quarter, we will probably have a rollout, either processed, frozen or dehydrated. The idea is to have a series of products which can be laid on top of existing channels, in the cold chain, in stores, once the capacity is created," Sivakumar said.
ITC's consumer business presently consists of packaged food, personal care and educational stationery products, and is worth more than Rs 10,000 crore in revenues, having crossed the golden milestone in 2016-17.
As per an official statement, ITC is now among the fastest-growing branded packaged foods businesses in India.
The fruits and vegetable under the new brand will also be sold online, first via sellers like
Popular on BI
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- One of Two and a half men Charlie Sheen back on TV, as himself
- As road & rail projects gather steam, cap good companies set for a decadal growth opportunity
- Network18 group to merge TV, digital news businesses
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!