I've been traveling around the world for 2 years with just a carry-on - here are my best tips for packing light
- I've been traveling and working abroad for two years with nothing more than a carry-on backpack.
- Through trial and error, I've perfected a system that leaves me with as little luggage as possible whenever I move to a new destination.
- Here are 11 of my best tips for packing light that you can use on your next trip.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In January 2017, I left America for Switzerland with a 65-liter backpack that was so big, it could almost double as a sleeping bag.
I packed the night before with not much forethought, adding clothes left and right because I thought they were warm, or cute, or whatever. I filled every inch of space.
I knew nothing about travel backpacks and didn't consider the fact that I'd have to lug it around Europe with me - through train stations, on and off buses, and down random cobblestone streets.
The bag was so heavy, in fact, I'd drag it behind me as though it had wheels. (It didn't.) After too many frustrating tear-filled moments, I knew we had to part ways. (Plus, I was only wearing about half the clothes inside.)
Through trial and error, I eventually learned to travel with just a 45-liter backpack that was just small enough to be a carry-on bag on most airlines. For my digital nomad lifestyle, it's perfect. And now that I've been traveling and working abroad for two years, hopping from country to country, there's no way I could go back to using a bigger bag or suitcase.
But how do I pack light? Here are 11 of my best tips if you're trying to limit your luggage on your next trip.
Read on to see how you can start saving space in your bag.
Lay out what I want to take, then remove half of the items
Use a smaller bag to begin with
Bring mostly solid-colored clothing
Don't bring bulky items
Don't bring wrinkly materials
Don't bring a lot of the same item
Make sure to roll your clothes and use oversized Ziploc bags or packing cubes
Limit how many pairs of shoes you bring
Play a game: If you buy something, give something away
Limit toiletries, jewelry & other items
Do a trial run before your trip
- Better.com CEO accused hundreds of the 900 people he laid off on Zoom of 'stealing' by working only 2 hours daily
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Indian government is reportedly looking to regulate work from home with a comprehensive framework
- India's income inequality is so bad that's weighing down the avg in both South Asia and SouthEast Asia
- Meet the Indian-origin women CEOs who are leading the way for major global companies
- SuperRare NFT sells for more than $2 million — a 20,000-fold increase in value over three years
- Microsoft to skill 1 lakh Indians in cybersecurity by 2022
- Love procrastinating? It can help you earn Rs 1 lakh by applying for Chief Excuse Officer at Cultbike.fit