I've changed careers 3 times - and learned 6 critical lessons about work and life
- I've changed career tracks three times during my time in the working world.
- Doing these vastly different jobs has taught me six key things about what it means to change careers and try vastly different professional paths to find one that fits you.
- Though not all skills are transferable, experience can be an important benefit taken from each opportunity you have in your professional journey.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Within a year of graduating college, I found myself on a fast track toward a mid-level management role with a major Los Angeles entertainment company.I was going on business trips, meeting with executives from across the industry, and helping plan sizeable acquisitions of new ventures.Advertisement
But it all fell apart when the head of my division was caught in an embezzlement scandal involving fraudulent invoicing and a cover company. My coworkers and I were shocked. My division was promptly shut down, and I was out of a job.
I was still in the first half of my 20s, and with a sparse résumé, there was no way I was going to find another position with the same responsibilities and pay as my old job. So I swallowed my pride and took a position as an assistant at a talent agency a few miles down the road.After a short stint there, and then multiple years at another agency, I finally decided to change careers for a third time, working full time out of my house as a self-employed writer.
I couldn't tell just how unfulfilling my work had become until I left it.
Not all skills are transferable, but all experience is.Advertisement
You won't keep most of your work friends after you leave a job — and that's OK.
Many companies are going too far in trying to control their workers.Advertisement
The way you use your time is immeasurably important.
It's hard to see the writing on the wall unless you're really looking for it.Advertisement
- Senior Rail Bhavan official tests positive for COVID-19; sixth since May 13
- Biggest single-day spike of 371 COVID-19 cases in WB; 8 more die of disease
- Dingko Singh tests positive for COVID-19
- 61 new cases in Kerala, COVID-19 tally touches 1,269
- As temperatures rise in MP's Khargone, so do COVID-19 cases