Jeff Bezos just unveiled a giant lunar lander that he says is 'going to the moon'
Dave Mosher/Business Insider
- Jeff Bezos, the billionaire founder of Amazon, unveiled a giant lunar lander on Thursday at an event about the progress of his spaceflight company, Blue Origin.
- Called "Blue Moon," the vehicle is designed to deliver a variety of types of payloads to the moon's surface.
- NASA said in April that it wants to fund a large, private lunar lander to get its astronauts to and from the moon, ideally as soon as 2024.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
WASHINGTON, DC - Jeff Bezos just unveiled a giant lunar-landing vehicle created by his rocket company Blue Origin.
Called "Blue Moon," the lander is designed to deliver a variety of sizes and types of payloads to the moon's surface, with the eventual goal of establishing what the company calls a "sustained human presence" on the moon.
"This is an incredible vehicle, and it's going to the moon," Bezos said at an event in Washington, DC on Thursday afternoon.
Blue Origin had been teasing the idea of a lunar lander called Blue Moon over the past two years. The company has already received millions of dollars in grants from NASA to develop critical lunar-lander systems.
The Blue Moon lander that Bezos revealed today is designed to carry infrastructure payloads to the moon, not people. But according to the company's website, "the larger variant of Blue Moon has been designed to land an ascent vehicle that will allow us to return Americans to the Moon by 2024."
With his new announcement, Bezos is likely angling to get NASA's attention once again. The space agency recently updated its space-exploration plans at the behest of Vice President Mike Pence and President Donald Trump. NASA originally hoped to test a moon lander in 2024, then try for crewed landings in 2028; but now the agency is attempting to attract private industry to design and build a spacecraft to land astronauts on the moon in 2024.
This is a developing story - check back for updates.
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- RBI hikes repo rate by 50 bps, taking it to a three-year high of 5.9% – Das says inflation at ‘alarmingly high levels’ across jurisdictions
- Best camera phone under ₹15000
- Best 5G mobile phones under ₹20000
- 22 lakh Indian IT professionals likely to leave jobs by 2025: Report
- OnePlus says successfully geared up for 5G launch with 5G-ready smartphone portfolio
- This website generates videos from a single image and text for free – here’s all you need to know