Jeffrey Epstein reportedly purchased 2 small pairs of women's panties from the Palm Beach jail's commissary
Rick Friedman/Corbis via Getty Images
- During Jeffrey Epstein's 2008 stint at the Palm Beach County Jail, he once bought two small pairs of women's panties, The Miami Herald reported Saturday.
- It's unclear why Epstein made the bizarre purchases, or why he was permitted to buy them.
- The panties were among hundreds of purchases - most of them mundane - that Epstein made during his 13-month jail sentence.
- Epstein spent roughly $2,000 at the jail's commissary on items like coffee, snacks, shampoo, and toothpaste.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The financier Jeffrey Epstein once bought two pairs of small women's panties from the commissary at the Palm Beach jail more than a decade ago, The Miami Herald reported Saturday, citing newly obtained purchase logs.The panties were size 5, and among hundreds of purchases he made over the course of his 13-month jail stint for soliciting sex with a minor, the newspaper reported.Advertisement
It's unclear why Epstein made the bizarre purchases, or why he was permitted to buy them.
Epstein died by suicide last Saturday at a Manhattan jail, where he was being held on charges of sex trafficking and conspiracy. A medical examiner found that he hanged himself inside his cell, setting off a furor over the jail's conditions and why Epstein was removed from suicide watch just weeks earlier.Read more: Just 18 workers were guarding 750 jail inmates on the night Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide
Associated Press/Mary Altaffer
Most of his other commissary purchases were more mundane, including 800 single-serve cups of coffee, Hershey's almond bars, and underwear presumably for himself: medium-sized men's briefs.
The newspaper reported that he spent $2,000 total on snacks and toiletries at the commissary.Epstein also appeared highly conscious of his appearance, buying hair gel, seven bottles of shampoo, and 22 tubes of toothpaste. One of his paralegals was even caught trying to bring him a book titled "Face Exercises that Prevent Premature Aging," the Herald reported.Advertisement
- Read more:
- Jeffrey Epstein's autopsy showed he died by suicide, the medical examiner says
- Epstein's last days were spent emptying vending machines with his lawyers in a private meeting room, avoiding suicide watch, and paying other inmates' commissaries
- 10 of the most bizarre details people have reported finding in Jeffrey Epstein's NYC mansion, from a painting of Bill Clinton in a dress to prosthetic breasts mounted on a bathroom wall
- Jeffrey Epstein's lawyers blast 'medieval conditions' at federal jail where he died by suicide and say they are launching their own investigation
- RBI approves panel of three independent directors to run Lakshmi Vilas Bank
- Farmers protest against three farm bills turn violent after protestors set a tractor on fire near India Gate
- Bank stocks gain as Supreme Court defers verdict on loan moratorium case to October 5
- Dentsu Aegis Network is now dentsu international
- Top stock movers — Future Retail, Hero MotoCorp, Indoco Remedies, Surya Roshni, PVR, Vodafone-Idea and more