Jury convicts white Chicago police officer of 2nd-degree murder in 2014 shooting death of unarmed black teenager Laquan McDonald
Chicago Tribune/Antonio Perez via Associated Press
- A jury has convicted a white Chicago police officer of second-degree murder in the 2014 shooting death of black teenager Laquan McDonald.
- Officer Jason Van Dyke fired 16 shots into 17-year-old McDonald's back in October 2014, as he was walking away from officers.
- Friday's conviction was the first time in half a century that a Chicago police officer has been convicted of murder for an on-duty death.
A jury has convicted white Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke of second-degree murder in the 2014 shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald.Van Dyke was charged with first degree-murder in the October 2014 killing, a charge that requires a finding that the shooting was unnecessary and unreasonable. The judge told jurors the second-degree charge was also available, requiring them to find Van Dyke believed his life was in danger but that the belief was unreasonable.Advertisement
McDonald was carrying a knife when Van Dyke fired 16 shots into the 17-year-old as he walked away from police.Though Van Dyke had originally claimed that McDonald "lunged" at him, prompting him to fire one shot into his chest, video footage of the incident shows that McDonald was walking away, and was actually shot 16 times - some of which occurred after McDonald had already hit the ground.
Second-degree murder usually carries a sentence of less than 20 years.After the verdict was read on Friday, demonstrators cheered outside the courthouse, chanting "Justice for Laquan," according to The Chicago Tribune.Advertisement
NOW WATCH: Inside the Trump 'MAGA' hat factory
- South Africa to see a spike in virus cases but govt to further ease curbs from June 1: President
- 70 new coronavirus cases in Rajasthan, Pali recorded 25 cases followed by 22 in Sikar on morning of May 25
- New Facebook Messenger tool helps you detect scams and other harmful interactions
- Hamirpur has risen to 63 out of total 210 corona cases in the Himachal Pradesh till May 25
- South Korea reports 16 new cases of coronavirus