Khabib Nurmagomedov says Conor McGregor doesn't deserve a rematch after he begged 'please don't kill me' last time
- Khabib Nurmagomedov has downplayed rumors of a rematch with lightweight rival Conor McGregor.
- Nurmagomedov finished McGregor with a fourth-round submission in October, last year.
- But the win failed to bury their rivalry, as the two fighters continue to be linked with one another.
- UFC president Dana White has talked-up a second fight at various points this year.
- But Nurmagomedov said Wednesday that he is not so keen because McGregor has done "nothing the last three years."
- The Russian wrestler even said the Irish striker begged "please don't kill me" during their fall brawl in 2018.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Khabib Nurmagomedov has slapped down suggestions he could rematch Conor McGregor in the near future as he says the Irishman begged "please don't kill me" when they fought in October.Nurmagomedov and McGregor engaged in one of the most compelling and controversial rivalries of 2018.Advertisement
McGregor's "embarrassing" behaviour was rebuked by fight regulators months after their fall brawl, which Nurmagomedov won after conclusively finishing the Irishman with a tight neck crank in Las Vegas.Rather than celebrate, Nurmagomedov mounted the fence and charged at McGregor's cageside friend Dillon Danis. While that was going on, members of Nurmagomedov's team jumped into the Octagon and exchanged punches with McGregor.
It was chaos, and there has been talk of a rematch as the UFC president Dana White has talked-up the lucrative fight at various points this year.Read more: Conor McGregor's status as a lightweight contender makes a complete mockery of UFC rankingsAdvertisement
"He tapped," Nurmagomedov said at an event to promote his UFC 242 title fight against Dustin Poirier, according to ESPN MMA editor Greg Rosentein. "He begged me, 'please don't kill me.' Now we're talking rematch?"
Nurmagomedov hinted that there are more worthy challengers to fight, including Tony Ferguson, who has been on a 12-fight winning run including a second round doctor's stoppage against Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone earlier this month."Tony Ferguson on the line. People who have a win streak on the line. Not the guy who has done nothing the last three years," Nurmagomedov finished.Advertisement
It is unclear whether McGregor did indeed beg not to be killed in the cage. However, BT Sport did pick up some communication between the two fighters during their live broadcast of the event last year.
- Domestic flights resume after two months: Delhi's first departure is to Pune and Mumbai's first to Patna
- 46 more test COVID positive in Assam, total cases near 400
- Turkey confirms 32 deaths, 1,141 new COVID-19 cases
- COVID: As 2 more test positive, Hamirpur continues to have highest number of cases in HP
- Himachal COVID-19 tally crosses 200 as 18 news cases reported