Kim Kardashian's 3 rules for succeeding in business
Getty Images/Michael Loccisano
The 34-year-old is an executive producer on her family's hit, long-running reality show "Keeping Up with the Kardashians," which was recently renewed at E! for a reported $100 million for the next four years.
According to Forbes, Kardashian earned $28 million in 2014 alone and was recently named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people of 2015.
But Kardashian, 34, works hard for her money.
In a new interview with Variety, Kardashian reveals her three rules for succeeding in business:
- "You have to be organized. It might be really simple, but if you're not fully organized, it becomes a huge problem."
- "Not being lazy. The reality is people don't want to get up and work. It sounds crazy, but I see it all the time."
- "If you find something you're really passionate about, figure out a way to make that your job. Then you'll be happy. If you aren't doing what you want to do, you'll be frustrated."
Despite her reality TV roots, Kardashian says she has always considered herself a businesswoman.
"When the opportunity for our TV show came about, I wanted to do it to bring attention to our stores [DASH, which she opened with her sisters in 2006]," she tells Variety. "I was thinking this might not last very long, but we'll grow a great business and expand online. I thought it would be great press. I didn't think it would turn into what it turned into."
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
When I turned 16, my dad made me sign a contract - he made us sign contracts for everything - that if I hit my car, I would be responsible for paying for it. I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and I tapped someone. It was so not a big deal, but I had to pay for it. It was during the O.J. trial. They saw my last name and said, "Kardashian, your dad's that lawyer?!" They sued me for a lot of money. After I paid them back, I kept on working to buy myself some clothes.
After working in stores, Kim soon discovered a whole new world of online shopping - and selling.
Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for eBay
Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for eBay
Kardashian explains that she made such a profit off of the shoes because she had a good eye for trends and what people would want to buy.
"They were these Manolo Blahniks that Jennifer Lopez had worn in her first or second video," Kardashian explains. "Everyone had to have them. I called at the right time and the girl at the store had five pairs and I took them."
Kardashian even spun that infamous 2007 sex tape into a reported $5 million deal that still swells her bank account to this day. After Kardashian's nude Paper magazine cover piqued interest in November, Vivid Entertainment president Steve Hirsch told TMZ the reality star would rake in $55,000 for that week alone.
Later in 2007, Kim pivoted the press surrounding the tape into an E! reality show about her family, and the Kardashian brand was built.
In a biography of Kim Kardashian by Martha Stewart for last month's Time Magazine '100 Most Influential People' list, Stewart wrote: "She [Kim] and her famous, entrepreneurial siblings-shepherded by a savvy, tireless matriarch-have also expanded the very definition of family."
"Kim comes across as an enviable big sister in a clan where everyone seems to love one another, wrote Stewart. "Where does Kim go from here? There seem to be very few barriers to further explosive success."
- Donald Trump supporters baffled and divided over his claim that Republicans won't vote in 2022 or 2024
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has Zoom call silenced after 'irrelevant' impeachment testimony during hearing of Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons