Know how Tata Motors plans to give Honda, Hyundai and Toyota a run for their money
With Mahindra & Mahindra speeding past Tata’s grip in the utility vehicle segment over the past decade-and-half, Tata Motors plans to introduce half a dozen of these cars in next 3-4 years. The ET suggests, the range would include vehicles right from compact SUVs meant for the urban buyer to rugged offerings targeting rural markets and premium crossovers.
This comes at an alarming juncture when Tata Motor’s
The company's renewed focus on UVs is primarily because of lower competition in the segment. It is also a higher margin business, and for the company to make a comeback and hit sizeable volumes, UVs will offer a faster path to recovery, the ET reports.
"It is a timely and a right move, as the segment is hot right now and offers higher margins,"
Among the cars in pipeline, a 5-seater compact SUV based on Nexon concept and resembling a mini Evoque is expected to hit the market in later 2016. This will be pitted against Ford EcoSport.
Also in pipeline are the joint products of JLR and Tata Motors, Q501 and Q502. It is also considering a 7-seater version on the X1 platform, called X107, and a 9-seater on the X6 platform, codenamed X602.
The new range along with the existing vehicles — Sumo, Safari, Storme and Aria — will make Tata Motors have probably the largest portfolio of UVs in India to rival Mahindra, which itself has many launches lined up in 2015.
(Image: India Times)
Popular on BI
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Qatar Airways says it is not accepting passengers on its flights from 2 African nations immediately due to the new Omicron variant
- Gautam Adani, the man who may soon be Asia's richest person, is a college dropout who survived the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks and says he was once kidnapped for ransom
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days
- Over a million Ethereum tokens have been burned since the big upgrade, but transaction costs are still a pain point for the network
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200