Kobe Bryant says he sometimes used to wish that he played an individual sport like tennis instead of basketball
- Kobe Bryant said he had frustrating moments during his NBA career where he wished he played an individual sport instead of basketball.
- Bryant said he liked the idea of the mental challenges that come with an individual sport like tennis vs. a team sport.
- Bryant sat in Naomi Osaka's box at the U.S. Open and saw the 21-year-old win in straight sets to advance.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Kobe Bryant is known as one of the greatest NBA players of all-time, but in an alternate universe, he would have played an entirely different sport.
Speaking with Sports Illustrated's Jon Wertheim from the U.S. Open, Bryant said there were times in his career where he wished he played an individual sport like tennis instead of basketball.
"There would be things sometimes during the Lakers season when things would be really stressful. And I would just sit around thinking man, I wish I played an individual sport," Bryant said.
Bryant said he likes the mental challenge of an individual sport.
"There's something even more challenging in individual sports, you have to deal with the inner challenge," he said. "You have to be able to deal with the uncertainties from shot-to-shot or the disappointments in shot-to-shot, because it's just you out there. Right, so having to navigate through those emotions presents a new set of challenges."
Danielle Parhizkaran/USA Today Sports
Bryant also told Wertheim that he sees some similarities between basketball and tennis in the footwork and the challenges of rhythm and timing.
Bryant on Thursday was in the Naomi Osaka's box along with Colin Kaepernick. They weren't there long, however, as Osaka later said she wanted to win in straight sets to keep them from being the sun too long.
- Read more:
- Naomi Osaka won a US Open match in straight sets because she didn't want guests Kobe Bryant and Colin Kaepernick to 'sit in the sun too long'
- Coco Gauff says she felt like the Golden State Warriors in Game 7 when the US Open crowd was chanting her name
- Buffalo Bills kicker Stephen Hauschka offered to help Carli Lloyd make the jump to the NFL and believes she could succeed
- We toured the Golden State Warriors' new $1.4 billion San Francisco arena, the most luxurious arena in sports, and it's just what San Francisco's tech elite ordered
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet
- Must do activities on your visit to Mahabaleshwar