Latam Airlines spikes 33% after Delta investment
- Delta Airlines announced a plan to purchase a 20% stake in Latam Airlines for $1.9 billion on Thursday.
- The company will also invest $350 million to "support the establishment of the strategic partnership," bringing the total deal size to $2.25 billion.
- Shares of Latam surged as much as 33% on the news.
- The move "shows the strength of the company's platform in the Latin American market," Pedro Mariani, a research analyst at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, wrote in a client note.
- Watch Latam Airlines trade live on Markets Insider.
Latam Airlines soared as much as 33% on Friday after Delta Airlines agreed to a $2.25 billion deal with the company, which is South America's biggest carrier.
Shares of Latam Airlines, an air carrier based in Chile, soared as much as 35% on the news. Partnering with Delta will boost Latam, industry watchers say. Delta shares edged higher on the news.
"It's hard to envision how Delta's influence over LATAM would not afford significant benefits, in our view," wrote Jamie Baker, US airlines analyst at JPMorgan.
The deal with Latam, the biggest airline in South America, is Delta's largest since it merged with Northwest Airlines over a decade ago. It will also expand Delta's reach to the region, since Latam flies to dozens of destinations in Latin America.
Together, the two partners will hold the leading position in five of six top markets in Latin America, according JPMorgan, which upgraded shares to "neutral" from "underweight" and raised its price target to $14 from $10.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch Pedro Mariani echoed the positive sentiment, saying the transaction is a net positive for Latam. While unexpected, the move "shows the strength of the company's platform in the Latin American market," he said.
Of the 17 analysts that cover the company, four say to buy, 12 say hold, and only one says to sell shares now, according to Bloomberg data. The average price target is $11.72.
Latam shares are now up roughly 15% year-to-date.
- Zoho adds features that can turn a video call into remote assistance for repairing cars, appliances and more
- Airtel announces IQ Video platform, to enable businesses to build video streaming products
- HUL spent Rs 2,255 crore on advertising between April and September this year
- Aadhaar Hackathon 2021 – how to participate, prize money, rules and more
- Ad fraud rates decrease in desktop and mobile web display in India: Report
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons