Systems reject matching PAN cards initials with Aadhaar database
While deciding to order mandatory linking of PAN cards with Aadhaar cards, the government possibly forgot the possibility of discrepancies in both databases. This, along with the lack of option of manual editing, has left millions of Indians confused, given that systems are rejecting the matching of mismatched details.
K Venkatesh, a Chennai-based banker, has the initial of his father’s name in his PAN card; however, his Aadhaar card lists his full name as Krishnaswamy Venkatesh. When he tried to link, the the system rejected the 'mismatch'.
Also read: Beneficiaries of welfare schemes don’t need to have Aadhaar, rules Supreme Court
Similarly, people that have special characters such as an apostrophe in their surnames, like D'Silva, D’Costa etc., along with people who have full stops between their initials in either their PAN cards or Aadhaar cards are also left with no option.
The deadline of linking both accounts is July 31, after which defaulters would not be able to file tax returns. However, this confusion has left lawyers and CAs demanding enabling manual intervention, especially for such minor discrepancies.
(Image source Evergreen Small Business)
Popular on BI
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report