Leonardo DiCaprio said Khabib Nurmagomedov 'almost landed on him' when he jumped from the cage at UFC 229
Mike Windle / Getty / Ethan Miller / Getty Images
- Khabib Nurmagomedov nearly jumped on Leonardo DiCaprio at UFC 229, the actor reportedly told the Russian fighter.
- Nurmagomedov lept from the cage towards the entourage of his opponent Conor McGregor after taking victory, inciting a massive post-match brawl.
- In an interview with Russian channel Match TV, Nurmagomedov said that the actor told him he was seated just a few meters away from where he landed.
- The pair met in Paris after watching PSG play soccer.
- DiCaprio then invited Nurmagomedov for dinner where he surprised the fighter by not taking photos with fans.
"He told me, 'I was sitting 5 meters away [when you jumped the cage at UFC 229], you nearly landed on me!'"Nurmagomedov's momentous victory over Irishman Conor McGregor at UFC 229 was marred by a massive post-match brawl, which erupted after the Russian lept out of the cage and into the stands towards his opponent's entourage.
"It was interesting for me how he would sit there [amid so many people]," Nurmagomedov said.
"He's a regular guy, but it was surprising to me, when people came up to him for a photo, he said 'I don't take photos.' I asked why, and he said it's not possible to make everyone happy."He said he only takes photos with kids… with everyone else, it's not possible. That surprised me, but in general, he's a regular guy."Advertisement
Nurmagomedov later captioned an Instagram post with DiCaprio: "He knows about UFC more than me."
In the wide-ranging interview with Match TV, the fighter also spoke about meeting Russian President Vladimir Putin who called him straight after the fight to congratulate him.Read more: Vladimir Putin told Khabib Nurmagomedov's father to cut him some slack after he incited a riot at UFC 229Advertisement
"It's nice, you know, when the head of state phones you and praises you for your efforts… Especially when I was sitting in the locker room, surrounded by security staff who were protecting me from 20,000 unhappy fans."And at that moment Vladimir Vladimirovich phoned me. It was really nice to hear his speech, how he praised me and said that the country was proud and was waiting to welcome me home."Advertisement
Nurmagomedov will serve a nine-month fighting ban that could be reduced to six should he create an anti-bullying public service announcement.
Khabib and Mick Jagger sitting one row apart, not something you see every day... https://t.co/mQR1vfReMl- Liam Tyler (@tyler_lj) November 28, 2018
- Locust attacks may come to New Delhi — these 15 pictures show how they have already wreaked havoc in other parts of India
- G R Chintala takes over as NABARD chairman
- Guar gum futures gain on positive demand
- MS Dhoni’s latest animated ad with Gulf Oil is the dose of positivity you need today to cheer yourself up
- Singapore reports 533 new COVID-19 cases