Here’s how to change names on voter IDs
The primary purpose of a Voter ID in the Indian elections is to serve as the document of identification while the individual takes part in the electoral process.
A voter ID can also be used as an identity, photo and address proof for the various official needs you will want to use it. Because it is a vital document with multiple uses, it is important that you make sure all the information printed on it is correct. If you spot any errors in your name as it is mentioned in the Voter ID, you need to get it rectified soon in order to avoid any arising difficulties later.
Also, those individuals who wish to change their names and those women who wish to take their husband’s name after marriage will need to make the corresponding changes in their name in the Voter ID. Here we discuss the step by step process to carry out the name change in the Voter ID.
Persons who find any errors in their name or other information in the voter ID card can get it changed through a simple online process. Read on to the different steps to do it.
- Visit the website of National Voters’ Service Portal and land on the page meant for correcting the details you want. https://www.nvsp.in/forms/Forms/form8?lang=en-GB
- You will see the section heading “Application for correction to particulars entered in electoral roll”.
- Input your state, assembly or parliamentary constituency and district.
- Under the section heading “Applicant’s details,” input your name and surname. The page is set to display it in regional language by default against the next column.
- Enter the details of registration with electoral roll including the part number of the electoral roll and serial number of the electoral roll. Also give the elector’s photo Identity card number.
- In the next section, click to tick the item you wish to change like name, age, photograph, name of relative, address, or date of birth, among others.
- In the section below, enter the correct details you wish to find in the changed version. Be careful to include the right details here since after the election commission approves them, these details will figure in your Voter ID card as you present them.
- Enter the place from where you are making the request from.
- Mention the date on which you apply for the correction in the Voter ID.
- Input your contact details like mobile number and email ID.
- Once you have filled in all the above said columns, take some time to verify if you have entered all the correct details.
- The page will then prompt you to upload the documents to support the change of name or any other information. This can be any official proof. For name change, submit the scanned image of an official document where you find your name in the correct spelling. This can be something like a passport or PAN card.
- Once you submit the form and documents online, you will get a reference number to track the status of your application online.
- The changes requested will be made only when the electoral authorities verify and approve the proof you uploaded.
- Once the requested changes are made, you will receive a notification and you can collect the updated Voter ID card from the nearest electoral office.
- Odisha man arrested for manufacturing fake Covid-19 vaccine
- J&J Covid vaccine produces strong immune response in early trials
- PM Modi at UNGA: 'How long will India be kept out of decision-making structures of UN'
- China says WHO gave support for Covid vaccine emergency use
- WHO warns death toll may hit 2mn even with vaccine