5 charts that tell you what India cares about ahead of 2019 elections
- The biggest concern for the public in India is the lack of employment opportunities.
- Inflation and corruption in the government are also burgeoning issues that people in India see as a problem.
- Despite the cynicism over electoral impact, Indians are satisfied with the way democracy functions in the country.
And, 76% of adults in India share that point of view, citing that lack employment opportunities still a very big problem.
AdvertisementThey also feel that there has been little progress when it comes to addressing key issues like communal relations and the wealth gap despite the current Indian Prime Minister’s, Narendra Modi, speeches about India’s progress.
Modi has also been highlighting the growing stature of India on the world stage as an impetus to his reelection, but most people around the world don’t see a significant change in India’s role when it comes to world affairs.
With the elections set to open in little over a month, Indians have specific frustrations with respect to the elections and the politicians in power as well. Majority of the people believe that the people leading the country are corrupt and no matter who wins the elections, it won’t have a heavy bearing on how things function in India.
Even so, more than half of Indians are happy with the way democracy is working in the country.
But, it should be noted that the level of satisfaction has declined 25 percentage points since last year, when nearly 79% voiced their approval of India’s democratic functioning.
Modi may not take the fall for rising unemployment in India, latest opinion poll shows
Social media platforms present India's Election Commission with 'Voluntary Code of Ethics for the General Elections 2019'
AdvertisementHere are the 'commitments' that online platforms are making to the Indian government before the general elections
- If the COVID-19 vaccine prices are too high for some, then why not use direct benefit transfer
- The COVID-19 crisis in India is getting worse with state administrations trying to hoard oxygen
- On Earth Day, companies commit to adopt more sustainable practices in an attempt to safeguard our tomorrow
- Tiger Global makes its first crypto investment in India making Coinswitch Kuber worth half a billion dollars
- Best pulse oximeters to keep a check on your SpO2 readings