London's property market is now nearly 60% beyond the point of the 2008 crash
Up! the movie
While it is hardly a revelation that London property is incredibly expensive, the statistic illustrates not only the huge disparity between London and the rest of the UK - where prices are roughly 23% above their previous peak - but also just how completely unprecedented the current London property boom, which doesn't look to be ending anytime soon, is.
Prices in the capital reached their previous peak just prior to the 2008 financial crisis, but crashed massively in response to the crisis, with demand for new properties tanking. Since the end of the GFC however, a wave of foreign investment into London, and a huge imbalance in supply and demand in the property market, have pushed prices skywards.
Despite repeated warnings over the past year or so that the London market is going to cool down, that slowdown hasn't been forthcoming - at least away from the super luxury end of things.
Here's the chart showing just how much more London properties now cost compared to their pre-2008 boom:
"London's performance skews national statistics. The average house in the UK is only 14% higher than its peak - if we take London's booming market out of the analysis - and only 9% higher if we ignore London and the South East," a report from the firm said.
ONS data, which is often at the lower end of the scale in terms of prices, shows that London homes now cost £552,000 on average, while the average country wide is £292,000.
On a short term basis, March's ONS house price data showed that prices in the capital grew 13% in the 12 months up to March 2016, compared to 9% growth across the UK, up from 7.6% at the same reading in February.
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World