Maternity leave might be extended to 26 weeks, work from home option to be included
Other than that, it also asks for providing 12 weeks of maternity leave to commissioning mothers, who use surrogates to bear a child or adopt a baby below the age of three months, and allowing "work from home" option for nursing mothers.
These changes were proposed by the labour ministry and have recently been approved by the Cabinet, as told to ET by a senior labour ministry official. Dattatreya is hopeful for an easy clearance since the changes proposed are women friendly. Once the bill is passed in Rajya Sabha, it will be tabled in Lok Sabha, where the governing party is in majority.
However, the 26-week leave option will not be available to women employees with two or more children.
The work-from-home option will only be available depending on the job profile of the employees, the duration of which will be mutually agreed upon by the employee and her employer.
Another change proposed asks for firms with 50 employees to have individual crèches, or a common facility managed by a few firms.
Popular on BI
- Towards a Greener Footprint: Prioritising Carbon-Neutrality Makes Good Businesses Sense! Are Indian Firms Making the Transition?
- Netflix confirms an ad supported tier is coming to its streaming service by year end
- Accenture, Cognizant could see revenue growth but a strong US dollar could spoil the party
- Kharif sowing is off to a weak start with extended dry spells and floods
- Best ladder for home use in India