Meet Sant Balbir Singh Seechewal, the baba who single-handedly cleaned a 160-km long river in Punjab
Incase you’re wondering what made TIME magazine bestow such a great honour on Sant Balbir Singh, also popularly known as Eco Baba in India and abroad, it’s because he undertook the task of cleaning Guru Nanak’s historic river
The river bed of Kali Bein used to be a victim of severe domestic and industrial pollution and was teeming with hyacinth and silt and was on the verge of dying.
That changed in 2000, when Sant Balbir Singh, aided with a large number of volunteers took matters in their own hands and successfully cleaned the river.
Apart from restoring the normal flow of the clean water, the holy man also beautified the river banks with trees bearing fruits, flowers, bathing ghats and brick roads. Additionally, this also ended up solving the water problems in Punjab’s Dooba area.
Singh’s low-cost underground sewage system model, also known as the
This model has benefitted around 50 villages and has had the envy of the Central Government of India, who have approached Singh to implement this model in the cleaning of River Ganga, as well.
His hard work hasn’t gone unnoticed with it being recognised by national, international organisations and even by the late APJ Abdul Kalam, who was known to praise Singh’s work in his speeches.
That’s not all. The holy man has also played an important role in establishing schools, technical centres, degree colleges besides being instrumental in eradicating poverty, superstition and atrocities against women.
Through his selfless work, he’s taught all of us not to take the
This Singh is undoubtedly a King!
Popular on BI
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- DOJ officials were alarmed by surveillance footage of the Mar-a-Lago room where classified info was being stored, report says
- Meet Judge Bruce Reinhart the magistrate who approved the FBI search warrant into Trump's Mar-a-Lago home receiving threats from MAGA supporters
- Diabetes drug effective in reducing severity in Covid patients: Study
- India Inc sees steepest decline in deal values: report
- All-India Consumer Price Index for agricultural, rural labourers rose in July
- 50% of companies planning job cuts amid economic downturn: Report
- Edtech startup Sunstone raises $35 mn in funding round led by WestBridge Capital