Meet Scooter Braun, the Hollywood manager who's caught in a feud with Taylor Swift, used to sell fake IDs in college, and discovered Justin Bieber in 2008
Alex Wong/Getty Images
- Celebrity talent manager Scooter Braun works with Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, and Demi Lovato.
- Braun purchased Big Machine Label Group for $300 million and now owns Taylor Swift's masters, according to The Wall Street Journal.
- Swift called the situation her "worst case scenario" in a June 30 Tumblr post.
- The former party promoter has an estimated net worth of $400 million, according to Fox Business.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
It is Taylor Swift's "worse case scenario" to have Hollywood talent manager Scooter Braun control her catalog, she wrote on Tumblr June 30, but plenty of other stars including Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, and Karlie Kloss are happy to let him control their careers.
After signing Bieber in 2008, Braun became "the defining music executive of the social media era, known for aggressive online cross-promotion between clients," according to The New York Times. Braun's acquisition of Taylor Swift's former record label is only his latest move to transform his company, SB Projects, into one of the most powerful forces in Hollywood.
Read more: The fabulous life of Dr. Dre, one of the wealthiest men in hip-hop, who has a $770 million fortune and has owned a sprawling network of glitzy LA mansions
Keep reading to learn about the rise of Scooter Braun.
Scott “Scooter” Braun, 38, is a native of Stratford, Ontario.
Braun began his career in Hollywood as Justin Bieber's manager.
Braun has since become a major player in pop music.
Braun has also dabbled in investing.
In May, Demi Lovato announced that she had joined Braun's roster of clients.
Braun is married to Yael Cohen, the founder of F*** Cancer.
Braun and Cohen split their time between two California homes.
Braun also does a lot of charity work.
On June 30, Braun announced that his Ithaca Holdings LLC would acquire Big Machine Label Group LLC.
Taylor Swift criticized the deal on Tumblr, calling Braun's ownership of her catalog her "worst case scenario."
Braun maintains a close relationship with Bieber, who defended him against Swift's accusations on Instagram.
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- Ambati Rayudu announces retirement from IPL
- Data protection bill to drive deep behavioural changes for platforms exploiting data: Chandrasekhar
- MS Dhoni set to play 250th IPL match of his career
- Samsung Galaxy A34 5G review: A Mid-range marvel
- 10 ways to reduce your home loan EMI burden