Meet 'Undercover Billionaire' star Glenn Stearns, who built a fortune running a now-bankrupt mortgage lender and spent 15 months sailing around the world on a yacht with his family
Amanda Edwards/Getty Images for Discovery
- California businessman Glenn Stearns, the star of the Discovery Channel's "Undercover Billionaire," built his fortune after founding the mortgage lender Stearns Lending at age 25.
- Stearns Holdings, the parent company that owns Stearns Lending, filed for bankruptcy in July, USA Today reported.
- Stearns once owned a superyacht, a three-story French chateau in Newport Beach, California, and a house in Fiji.
- Stearns and his wife Mindy starred on another reality television show loosely based on "Gilligan's Island" in 2004, according to The Orange County Register.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
California businessman Glenn Stearns may be attempting to build a million-dollar business from scratch in 90 days on the Discovery Channel's "Undercover Billionaire," but he has already experienced enough drama in his real life to fill another reality television show.
Stearns, according to his Discovery Channel profile, had a troubled childhood before going on to found Stearns Lending, the mortgage lending company that has afforded him an opulent lifestyle complete with beachfront mansions and superyachts. After a battle with cancer, Stearns decided to embark on the challenge of growing a million-dollar business from scratch on "Undercover Billionaire."
A Stearns Lending spokesperson declined to comment on Stearns' personal history and involvement with the company when reached by Business Insider.
Keep reading to learn more about the "Undercover Billionaire" star.
Stearns had a troubled childhood.
Stearns founded Stearns Lending at age 25 in 1989.
He predicted the financial crisis.
His wife Mindy is best known for being "discovered" during a 1996 appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," in which she made animal noises.
"Undercover Billionaire" isn't Stearns' first foray into reality television.
At the time, the couple lived in a mansion in Newport Beach, California.
Stearns has since moved out of Orange County.
Stearns said he paid $250,000 for a ticket for a suborbital flight with Virgin Galactic in 2014.
Virgin Galactic founder Richard Branson is "good friends" with Stearns.
The Stearns family spent 15 months sailing around the world on a superyacht.
Stearns said a fight with cancer inspired him to take on the challenge of "Undercover Billionaire."
Despite Stearns' financial savvy, his company filed for bankruptcy in July 2019.
However, Stearns might not actually be a billionaire.
- Best gaming mouse for battle royale games in India
- Best tablets for professional use in India
- Ethereum may offer the best returns, but investors have been pulling away over the last two weeks
- Google starts starts testing new safety section for apps, feature to go live in February 2022
- Horlicks and Boost maker HUL sees slowdown in food segment in the last three months