Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella Just Said These Weird-Looking Goggles Are 'The New Desktop'
He was about to take the stage for a panel put on by Salesforce.com about the future of tech.
He told us something rather surprising.
He said that Microsoft's new computerized goggles, HoloLens are "the new desktop."
When worn, HoloLens, powered by Microsoft software called Windows Holographic, project animations unto the visible world. They are not a virtual reality goggles, they are augmented reality goggles.
Nadella said the one incredible application for HoloLens that impresses him is that you can put them on and drive a rover around Mars, all while feeling as though the terrain of Mars has come to your office or living room.
Business Insider's Matt Rosoff recently tried HoloLens and was blown away. He said, "I just had a 40-minute in-person demonstration of HoloLens, Microsoft's new computer headset, and I'm convinced that personal computing is on the verge of a major change."
"In 10 years or so, people will be using head-mounted displays that project 3D images that you can interact with in actual space."
One reason Nadella's pronouncement is so surprising is that several consumer technology companies have tried, and failed, to convince normal people to wear bulky headsets to experience content in a new way. A couple years ago, the TV companies all came out with 3D TV sets. Then came Google with its now shuttered Google Glass.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- Wipro, Infosys, Tech Mahindra revoke offer letters given to freshers: Reports
- Reliance Jio and Airtel 5G prices may be affordable for now but expected to increase after wider rollout
- Omnichannel becomes omniscient as retailers gear up for revenge festive celebration
- Redmi Pad Review: A decent tablet for the masses
- Electronics Mart India IPO is subscribed 1.69 times on day 1
- Big B’s best movies are back on the big screens - Here are 11 you can watch
- Reliance Jio to begin beta trial of 5G in four cities on Dussehra with unlimited data